People news from the world's rental industry
By Murray Pollok18 March 2008
• Bryan Rich, executive vice president and vice chairman of US-based Sunbelt Rentals, has announced his retirement after 31 years in the equipment rental business. Mr Rich began his career in the rental business with Logan Equipment Corp in 1977, which was sold to NationsRent in December 1998. Sunbelt Rentals, which is owned by the Ashtead Group, bought NationsRent in August 2006.
• Speedy Hire has appointed exSam Hire managing director Eugene Heather (below) as managing director of its Irish operation, Speedy Ireland. Mr Heather, who is a well-known figure in the UK and Irish rental industry, joins Speedy after leading Sam Hire in Ireland for 19 years, during which the business grew from a single outlet to a national network.
Meanwhile, Speedy Hire's finance director Neil O'Brien is to leave the company. Mr O'Brien joined the UK company as finance director in 1999 and is leaving to pursue other opportunities. Speedy said that it plans for Mr O'Brien to remain in his post until publication of the group's results for the year to 31 March 2008.
• Ronald Kok , ex-president and chief executive officer of Dynapac, retired from the business at the end of September. Since Dynapac was acquired by Atlas Copco, he had assumed the position of board member of Atlas Copco's Road Construction Equipment Division. President of the road division is Claes Ahrenjart .
• Wirtgen America has named James McEvoy president and chief executive officer of the company, effective from 1 September. Mr McEvoy was formerly vice president, sales and marketing and group channel development. He replaces Stuart Murray , who has been named president and chairman of Wirtgen, a holding company for all Wirtgen businesses in North America.
Jeff Wiley is Wirtgen's new senior vice president, sales and marketing. Mr Wiley had been vice president of sales and marketing. Jan Schmidt , formerly product support manager, has been named vice president, product support systems of Wirtgen Group. New product support manager is Scott Lyons , who had been Midwestern region sales manager and vice president, sales and marketing.
• Oshkosh Truck Corporation, parent of JLG Industries, has appointed Desmond Soh as president of Asian operations. Mr Soh will direct Oshkosh's activities in Asia from an office in Beijing and focus on business expansion. He was formerly vice president, chief representative for government relations in China for electronic component manufacturer Flextronics.
• Terex has appointed Glyn Goodwin (below) as its UK regional sales manager for the Terex Aerial Work Platform (AWP) business, including Genie, Terex Lift and Terex light construction products. Mr Goodwin, who will report to John Fuller , Terex AWP UK divisional sales manager, had been manager of Terex AWP's European used equipment business.
• Deere & Company has named James Field as president, worldwide commercial & consumer equipment division, and Markwart von Pentz as president, agricultural division, Europe, Africa and South America and global harvesting equipment sourcing. Mr von Pentz replaces H J Markley , who fills the new position of executive vice president, with responsibility for worldwide parts services, global supply management and logistics, enterprise information technology, and corporate communications.